Halloween Food Waste Horror!
Join the #PumpkinRescue
– Every year over a quarter of all Halloween pumpkins end up in landfill – that’s 18,000 tonnes of food waste
– Many more pumpkins go straight to the food waste bin or composting without being eaten
– Hubbub and Wasted Kitchen are urging Macknade pumpkin carvers to join the biggest yet #PumpkinRescue
– Every pumpkin eaten is a step towards tackling the 7.1 million tonnes of food and drink that is thrown away from UK homes every year.
Halloween is now Britain’s third biggest commercial holiday, after Christmas and Easter, and the country’s second biggest party night after New Year’s Eve. A spooky side of Halloween is the shocking number of edible pumpkins that go to waste each year.
Pumpkin recipes from Wasted Kitchen
- Save the seeds! Scoop out the seeds, remove as much of the stringy flesh as you can, put the seeds on a baking tray, add some olive oil, salt & smoked paprika & bake the seeds until crisp, this only take 10 minutes or so, don’t let them burn
- Cube & roast the flesh of a pumpkin & then;
- Make the Pumpkin Gnocchi here
- Mash the pumpkin, add the purée to a pasta sauce, or stir through Mac & Cheese
- Put some chunks of tasty pumpkin on your pizza
- Make soup!
- Stir the purée through some hummus, add a little bit or spice & a squeeze of lime too
- Go American & try making Pumpkin Pie!
Check out www.hubbub.org.uk for loads more ideas & recipes